BINA WALK: ALONG THE ALLEYS OF THE NEW CEMETERY
Guided by: Violeta Obrenović
→ the main entrance to the New Cemetery, Ruzveltova Street 5
The development of social and cultural life and the dynamic growth in Belgrade’s population led in October 1871 to an initiative by Archbishop Mihailo being placed before the Ministry of Internal Affairs to relocate the Old Tašmajdan Cemetery which was situated in the city center. The Ministry transferred the authority for relocating the Tašmajdan Cemetery to the Belgrade Municipality. After numerous commissions, sessions and decisions, Belgrade Municipality purchased the land above the Bulbuder Stream, at the foot of Zvezdara. The New Cemetery was first included in the plan of Belgrade in 1884, in the site it occupies to this day, and it was finally organized and opened in 1886. It is one of the oldest Belgrade cemeteries and the first city burial ground that was planned and developed.
Today, after more than a century of its existence, the New Cemetery represents a historical monument and memorial of special importance for national history and culture. Due to the numerous memorial monuments, architectural entities, sculptures and the large number of distinguished persons buried there, the New Cemetery was designated in 1983 as having great cultural and historical heritage significance for the Republic of Serbia. In 2004 The New Cemetery became a member of the Association of Significant Cemeteries of Europe (ASCE).
The walk will start at the entrance to the New Cemetery and will include a tour of the main alleys, with emphasis on individual sculptural works and graves of distinguished persons. Particular attention will be directed to spatial units: Arcade, Alley of the Greats, Alley of Distinguished Citizens, Alley of Executed Patriots, as well as the architecture and history of the Church of St. Nicholas, the Chapel of Field Marshal Radomir Putnik, Charnel-house of Defenders of Belgrade 1914-1918, Russian Charnel-house and the Iver Chapel.
Violeta Obrenović graduated from the Faculty of Philosophy at University of Belgrade, Art History Department. She received Master’s Degree in 2008 and Doctorate in 2013 from the same faculty, Department of History of Contemporary Architecture. Since 2004, she has been employed as an art historian at the New Cemetery in Belgrade. She is engaged in research on Serbian church and memorial architecture.